Margarita Cupcakes, Vegas Bound!
I know it has been over a month since I last updated, and I feel terrible about that! But now I am back from my summer vacations and ready to get baking =]
I have also been very busy working on expanding hollicakes, starting with making business cards! They are oh-so-close to being finished and I can’t wait to hold them in my hands! And of course, post a photo on here for everyone to see!
Anyways, back to the cupcakes...!
This post is dedicated to my cousin Ashley’s 21st birthday, which was July 30. We had been planning a trip to Vegas for months and I was so excited! BUT I could not figure out what kind of cupcakes to make.........lightbulb! Anything with alcohol...MARGARITA! Ah yes, that was about how my thought process went.
Hand-squeezed limes by Dylan!
A good amount of tequila went into the cupcakes AND frosting.
Sprinkling on the lime zest.
-makes 24, recipe adapted from Annie’s Eats
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
3 limes, zested and juiced
½ tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚ F. Line two cupcake pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir with a fork to blend.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Blend in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the lime zest, lime juice and vanilla.
3. With the mixer on low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat each addition just until incorporated.
4. Divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners, filling each about ¾ full. Bake 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tequila-Lime Swiss Meringue Buttercream
2 cups sugar
8 large egg whites
Pinch fleur de sel (coarse salt)
1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2½ tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
2-4 tbsp. tequila
1. Combine the sugar, egg whites, and salt in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Heat, whisking frequently, until the mixture reaches 160° F and the sugar has dissolved.
2. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form and the mixture has cooled to room temperature, about 8 minutes.
3. Reduce the speed to medium and add the butter, 2 tablespoons at a time, adding more once each addition has been incorporated. If the frosting looks soupy or curdled, continue to beat on medium-high speed until thick and smooth again, about 3-5 minutes more (don’t worry, it will come together!) Stir in the lime juice and tequila and mix until fully incorporated and smooth.
Proof that the cupcakes made it to Vegas in one piece.
Happy 21st Ashley! From the top of the Rio...
It feels good to be back, happy baking!