September/13/2010 12:02 AM
Time for the last fruit cupcakes of the summer! After this its all of my fall favorites like sweet potato and pumpkin cupcakes =]
So I ended up with a last minute cupcake order, flavor of my choice!
It most certainly had to be these Pineapple Mango Cupcakes from Bakerella.
I pureed a can of pineapple, there’s a first time for everything!
Since whole mangos are pretty expensive, I figured these would work!
Out of the oven!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
20 oz. can of crushed pineapple, drained and pureed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake tray with 24 paper liners.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer for several minutes. Add the eggs one at a time scraping down the sides of the bowl with each addition. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
4. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture in three additions with the milk in two additions (flour, milk, flour, milk, flour) Mix until combined with each addition
5. Add the pineapple and mix until combined.
6. Fill cups about 2/3 full and bake for about 15 minutes. (Mine took 25 minutes.)
Mango Swiss Meringue Buttercream
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 - 3/4 cup pureed mango
1. Combine egg whites, and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar has dissolved and whites are hot to the touch, 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Transfer bowl to the electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, mix on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 10 minutes.
3. At low speed, add butter to egg whites, then salt and beat until smooth.
4. Add mango puree to taste and beat until combined.
Quote from my mom, “The taste of these cupcakes made me feel like I was instantly in Hawaii.”